What is the Rights Respecting School Award?
UNICEF UK's Rights Respecting School Award recognises the achievements of putting the convention at the heart of the school ethos. The initiative gives ways of inspiring and supporting schools who want to provide children with a rights/respecting way of living.
At Prospect House Specialist Support Primary School we are a Bronze Award Rights Respecting School, we are working towards attaining our Silver Award.
Why Prospect House believes it is important?
Our Core Values are intrinsically linked to the ‘Rights of the Child’ and we believe that children should be at the heart of everything we do. For children to make the most of their opportunities they need to have an understanding of their rights. School is responsible for promoting a rights-respecting environment and for developing and understanding that rights apply equally to everyone globally. Children should be given the opportunity to learn about the wider world and understand their responsibilities so that everyone can fulfil their rights.
Our Core Values:
We Love to Learn -Article 28, 29, 30
We are Safe, Healthy and Happy - Article 12, 23, 24, 27, 39
We Try Our Best - Article 3, 6, 13
We like that we are all different - Article 2, 29, 30
We Work Together - Article 9, 12, 15, 19, 27, 39
We respect everybody - Article 1, 2,13, 14
What are we doing to promote a rights respecting environment?
- Collective Worship supports the teaching of the Rights of the Child
- Children's rights are displayed around school to help with understanding the articles
- Prospect House will have a School Council and children will be given opportunities to share their ‘voice’ and be included in decisions about the future of our school.
- The language of respect and responsibility is used by everyone in school
- We show respect to our environment so that others in the future may have their rights.
- Parents will be given information about the Convention of the Rights of the Child and have opportunities to share their views
- We will participate annually in UNICEF’s; ‘Outright Campaign', Day for change
To find out more about UNICEF Rights Respecting Award. Click Here
To read the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child